History of Sunnybrae Estate
The area on which the farm is sited was originally called Tam O’Shanter Belt, named after the ship Tam O’Shanter that went aground near North Arm in 1836. The passengers walked to North Adelaide and on looking back saw the ship over a fine belt of trees.
The Cow Shed, Machinery Shed and Cheese Room appeared in 1882, the Homestead, piggeries and stables in 1883, with the Smoke House in 1885. The Straining Shed, with the brick arches, can be seen just off Regency Road, this side of the railway bridge.
The farm was renamed Regency Park and subdivided by the Government in four phrases for light industry in 1975, 1977, 1979 and 1981. In 1981 4.5 acres containing old farm buildings was declared a Historic Conservation and Recreation Centre and transferred to Enfield Council. Restoration of the buildings was carried out by the Council, with the assistance of a State and a Bicentennial grant.
In 1999, $1m of additions and improvements consisting of a large function room (the Pavillion) and extensive kitchen facilities were opened. Sunnybrae also appeared on Channel 9’s “Postcards” programme.
The Cow Shed
Built in 1882 and restored in 1987. Used for milking from 1882-1884, when vendors refused to accept milk, it was then used for general purposes, although cattle were kept until 1924. In 1895 a storm damaged the barrel roof, being replaced by a gable roof. Mechanical shearing was carried out from 1925. A recent name change, to Coach House, was felt appropriate for the weddings and functions now using the building between 120 and 400 guests depending on the type of function.
The Garden Terrace
Built in 1999. A recent addition faces the Rose Garden, can be used for weddings or as an annex to the Pavillion for presentations etc. Roll up clear plastic side blinds making it an excellent all-weather venue.
Built in 1999. Can accommodate between 50 and 150 guests for weddings, cocktails etc. The bar also serves the Garden Terrace. Doors open onto the Rose Garden.
Manager’s Residence and Dairymen’s Quarters
Built in 1883 and restored in 1993. Constructed around a central courtyard (The Atrium). The room on the right was formerly the Dairymen’s dining room now known as the Richard Day Room. The next room on the right was the bunk room but now known as the Heritage Room. These rooms can be used for conferences, weddings or dinner functions.
Pepper Tree Gazebo
Constructed in 2000, it became an instant success for weddings, set within a grove of old pepper trees, small fountains, a running stream and rockery with a backing of old farm carts giving a tranquil setting.
Cheese Room and Cellars
Built in 1882 and restored in 1992. Butter and cheese were only made here from 1882-1884 when it became a fodder store and the cellars for silage. In 1936 a portion was opened up and used as a workshop. This room in recent time has been used by various dancing groups but is now solely for conferences. Around the walls are framed pictures and plans describing the workings of the original farm.